8.13.2009

it was about time.

[a reinactment of the visit to the ER]
6:30 am and we were up for the day.

After a bath [for me] we were off to the donut shop. The boys have been begging nonstop for the sugary goodness, so today was the day. After we loaded ourselves up with sugar and sprinkles we decided we were in need of some vitamin D and headed out for some back yard fun. We dabbled in some play dough, dug through some sand and even busted out the garden hose for a splashy good time.

Before we head inside, I strip them down to their birthday suit and wrap them in a nice warm towel. On the way to the shower Tyler totally biffed it and caught himself with his chin on the bathroom floor. Chin + tile does NOT make a good combination. His chin completely split open and blood started flowing.

I grabbed the towel and held it in place. Tyler only cried for a few minutes. I quickly dressed both boys and hauled it over to our 24 hour Emergency Care facility that is approximately two minutes from our house. Thank goodness for that. The brave award definitely goes to Tyler. He was so completely stoic, I was amazed at how calm he was. The only time he cried was when he received the numbing shots and let me just say, I would have cried to. Three shots right in the slit of his chin could not have felt pleasant. And to top it off, he was strapped to a papoose board to make sure he stayed completely still. And still he stayed. He didn't utter a peep. I stayed by him the whole time, oh except near the end when I started to get really, really light headed. I had to take a seat for fear of passing out. Benny was occupied at the nurses station with some crayons and the whole experience was not traumatic in the least, except for the fact that I felt so sad for my ty ty. I would have traded positions in a heart beat.
[tyler didn't really want to have his picture taken, so please excuse the quality.]
We of course had to grab ice cream afterwards for Tyler's stellar bravery. Now my only challenge will be to keep the boys from rough housing. Yeah, that should go over well, ha!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! What a brave little one!

Suz said...

What a brave boy!

Amanda said...

Poor Ty:( I can't believe what a BRAVE boy he was!

Rachel Mohat said...

Awww thats so brave. Bless his heart!

Jane said...

Okay...How can this be? Brady got his first stitches this week too - and under his chin also!! He slipped in the bathtub and hit the faucet. Glad Ty is put back together and props to him (and you) for his bravery!

The Aussie Elmers said...

Oh ty ty is such a trooper!!! Love ya kiddo

Cheryl said...

Such bravery, Tyler! What I really liked was the phone call and very detailed description by Tyler of the whole experience. I don't think he left anything out!

leigh said...

Wow - pretty amazing that he kept his cool. Charlie split his chin open a few years ago right after new years. He hit his on a wood floor - so I guess floors just aren't great for chins.

Anonymous said...

awe poor kid, at least he didnt break any teeth!

Lauralee Altice said...

Ouch! That is no fun! THat is not the best way to start off a day!