12.13.2010

two trips to the ER.


I've concluded that boys are wild.
I've known this for quite some time.
And with wild boys, we've made our fair share of trips to the emergency room.
Like twice in the last week.
One for Tyler.
One for Benny.
Really, we lead quite the exciting life.  I don't recommend it though.  I'll take boring any day.

The first incident happened while Matthew was out of town.  Of course it did, right?  All exciting incidents take place when dad is away.  Tyler and Benny each had a matchbox jet, running around, playing like boys.  Making airplane noises and having all sorts of boyish fun.  I am pretty sure I mentioned it not being the best idea running around with a sharp toy but what does mom know.  Sure enough, Tyler fell and the jet went straight into the palm of his hand.  To say he was terrified of the thought of getting stitches yet again is an understatement.  Luckily they pronounced it a puncture wound, cleaned it up and we were on our way with instructions to clean it twice a day.  Whew, disaster avoided.

The second incident, thank goodness, occurred when daddy was in town, working from home.  I must say, I am top-notch, in control during an emergency.  But this particular one threw me for a loop.  I decided to brave the elements [meaning my three boys] and load everyone up to run errands.  We were just about to exit our neighborhood when I hear Benny start to cry.  I pull over because I can not see the damage.  I was imagining he pinched himself buckling up his car seat.  I was wrong.  Oh so wrong.  He had gotten his hands on Tyler's expired epi pen and yes, you guessed it, stabbed himself in the thumb.  After all the time we have carried an epi pen [and never used] I've never though to ask his doctor what would happen should you puncture yourself without the need of it.  I was a bit panicky, which set a round of crying off for Tyler.  Benny was already in hysterics.  I jumped out of the car, literally and raced upstairs.  As soon as I told Matt what happened I started crying.  I was the mom, it was my fault.  Matt called 911 to make sure it was okay if we just took him in.  Lucky for us, there is a 24 hour ER right down the street from us.  How convenient.  Once again, no sustaining harm down, except for the massive bills that will grace our mailbox soon enough.

Mamas of boys beware.  This too could be you!

No comments: