10.24.2012

we're a team.


Today we learned about crows.  We see crows, along with little blackbirds, in our Target parking lot quite frequently.  We are still surrounded by so much land out where we dwell, that we come across quite a bit of wildlife.  We have also spotted vultures and hawks.  The vultures were fascinating but didn't stick around long enough for me admire their scariness.

Our nature study book informed us that crows flock together in the fall.  They often forage for bugs and insects in large fields and because they work together as a team, there is always a sentinel, a look-out so to speak.

As I school these boys of mine at home, I try desperately to impress upon them that we are a team.  This little family of ours must work together!  I want each of them to feel as though they are an integral part of this family unit we have going on.  We are lucky, each one of us.  And if we choose to work together, no matter who struggles or has an off day, the others can help ease the burden, pitch in and love a little more.

I think I worry too much.  I know I worry too much.  Am I doing this right?  Am I teaching them enough?  Oh shoot, what if we didn't get to all our school work today?  They are wild and full of life and on some days, it takes all of me, every ounce I can muster, to make it through the day.  But then there are the moments, when we are driving in the car, my boys and me, and my hearts swells with a burst of emotion.  At that second, I smile at how lucky I am to spend my day with three amazing spirits who teach me far more than I will every impart to them.

I am just taking one day at a time.  That's all this girl can do.

1 comment:

Moments and Impressions said...

What a wonderful thing you are doing... you are teaching them more than you could ever know.