5.06.2007

just say no.

Well, as some of you may know Ty hasn't been allowed to eat peanuts the past year since at the age of 1 he broke out in a rash around his mouth. His pedi said at around 2 we could try again. Tonight Matt accidentally ate a peanut butter m&m in front of Ty and we decided to see if he grew out of his allergy. The answer is NO!! Immediately he broke out in a rash around his mouth and I gave him one chewable benedryl tablet. I watched him for about half an hour and he seemed to be okay so we put him down for his nap. Well, 40 minutes later he woke up screaming. He was congested and sounded kind of raspy. Matt called Acute Kids Care and they said to bring him in. By the time I got there Ty was covered in a horrible rash, had snot and drool all over him and had a difficult time breathing. I have never seen him more miserable. They gave him a steriod shot and a breathing treatment and within 10 minutes he was feeling much better. Ty was such a champ! He didn't cry during the shot and he sat perfectly still on my lap during the breathing treatment. Although I know it was Sunday, we went over to target afterwards and I bought him a toy for being so brave. He was so excited to pick it out all by himself. The doctor gave us two prescriptions...one a steriod which he will take the next three days and then the other an epi-pen to have on hand incase he accidentally eats something that contains peanuts. Each time his reaction would get worse. This time was scary enough. The steriod shot made him wired!! He was bouncing off the walls, like he needed any help doing that, lol. I just put him down for the night and he looked like he was back to his normal Tyler self. So that was our exciting day!

No comments: