Ty is a fire ball of energy. Right at this moment he is experiencing what some may call "the terrible twos". I call them "horrific public displays of disobedience". Yes, he disobeys at home too but why do his most expressive tantrums fall on public ground?
One of his most dramatic explosions just so happened to take place at our pediatricians waiting room. Of course we were late. Ty had already started out the day with whiny complaints. We were treading down a not so pleasant slippery slope and it was barely 9:00 am. We needed to be out the door and in the car by 10:30 which would prove to be a miracle if that accomplishment even happened. By the time I am pulling out of our neighborhood, with shrills of displeasure in the background, the little green numbers read 10:47. I knew I should call the office to warn them I would be running at least 10, okay maybe 15 minutes behind but I feared that they would sweetly recommend I reschedule. Since I had no intention of rescheduling, I braced my self and prayed that all police would be on a Starbucks run.
Finally we pull into the parking lot, I rip the kids out of the car seat, grab Tyler's hand {against his protests} and make a bee line for the entrance. We rush through the door, sign in and take a seat.
The boys were playing nicely. Minutes were ticking away while I tried to visualize what the rest of my day looked like. The next second, Tyler plops his little toddler bum up next to me and kicks off his furry crocs. He then presumes that it is acceptable to plant his sweet tiny feet on the grungy waiting room floor. I don't think so! I try to patiently explain in "toddler boy" language why we don't do that and he flips out. Legs + arms flailing while I try to rein him in and hold him tightly on my lap. I gave him options...either sit on mommy's lap or put on your crocs and go back to playing with the germ ridden toys. He choose to not only sit on my lap but put on a show for the fully packed waiting room. All the while Ben is toddling around oblivious to the fact his mommy is about to take up drinking {just kidding}.
Honestly what do you do in this situation? I simply smiled and gritted my teeth. Finally the doctor called us back. And I had the pleasure of looking forward to my little "screaming symphony" all the way home.
{does this look like the face of a tantrum throwing toddler?}

2 comments:
What a great picture of Tyler! I remember those "days" and they were many. But there were many more good than bad. I enjoy reading your blog and seeing what is going on in your day to day life. I laugh at some of them as I recall similar moments from my past. The crying in the car is almost unbearable. I used to have to sing "wheels on the bus" or else you would cry the whole time we were in the car.
wow.. if that's not birth control i dont know what is... HA! sorry being a mother is so hard sometimes... i didn't even know this blog existed!! i'm putting it on my list to check :)
Post a Comment