8.23.2008

plus two.

We have two new members of the family...
Hulk + Spiderman (spidey)
I call them hermies but you may know them better as hermit crabs. We have only had them for a few days but already I am questioning why on earth I agreed. I am not a pet person. Yes animals are cute and sweet but just not in my house. That being said, I settled for hermit crabs. I thought they were low maintenance. Apparently I was wrong.
Why did we buy them you ask? To extinguish the addiction to the pacifier. Tyler has been in love with the paci from the day he was born and considering that he is nearing three and a half, I decided it was time to say adios. And seeing as I needed to get rid of every single one of them, Ben had to give his up too. Surprisingly it has been relatively easy but the prize was a hermit crab. And of course we ended up with two. I was told they are social creatures. And who am I to deprive one of company. What I thought would be thirty dollars turned into a whole lot more.

Two hermit crabs from the mall + food + a dinky little cage = $45
First trip to the pet store for supplies = $30
New aquarium home = $40
Second trip to the pet store = $30
Tyler's smile = Priceless

So $145 later we are set, well until I need to clean their cage and they run out of food. But Tyler loves them and we no longer rely on the paci, so I guess I can say it has been worth it, so far.

The second day we have them Matt gets up with the boys so I can work on my blog for a couple of hours. So of course the boys play with the hermies and Ty accidentally forgets to tell daddy the rule. The rule is we only play with one hermit crab at a time. Why? Because I don't want to mess with them and Ty can only pay attention to one. Good rule if you follow it. But they didn't and there was drama.

*side note*
hermit crabs don't often pinch unless they feel threatened or feel like they will fall.

While the playing continued Ty held up spidey and prodceed to try to touch his claws. Hello, the crab was suspended in mid air, it felt scared and totally pinched Ty. Hermit crabs are known to hold on for a bit so Matt had to pull him off. Well while all of that craziness was happening Hulk decided to skip out and escaped!
Great, now I have a hermie on the loose and they like to hide. Luckily Matt and the boys found him within 20 minutes and all ended well. Now you can see why the rule is such a good one!
[I will try to get some pics up later this week so you can see how excited Ty is about his new pets]

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw, i wanna meet spidey and hulk!! =)

Anonymous said...

anonymous is Cassie... if ya didn't already figure that out ;)

Lauralee Altice said...

Boys and their pets! So much fun except that the moms have to do the dirty work and actually take care of the pets. That's cute that they love them so much. Congrats of giving up the pacies though, I hear that's a hard one!

shahna said...

We have constant pet drama over here at ny house. We used to be the proud owners of two sweet little parakeets which we inherited from the previous owner. Jensen accidentally killed them when she burned mac and cheese in the microwave. The fumes were really bad and lasted for a couple of days and then one morning we went up and they were both gonners. So sad.

Hermies ARE low maintenace, though. The only downside is when they die they smell REALLY bad. They are kind of a good started pet in my opinion. -
Enjoy Mol!

Mandie said...

Brian and I are anti-pets also. Like you said, I like animals, just not in my house. I know this sounds bad, but I think I would rather have a four year old with a pacifier than a pet. :)

Amanda said...

Joe and I are laughing right now. You are not boring. :)

leigh said...

sorry about the lack of comments, i haven't been very good on anyone's blogs. (it's that darn kitchen!)

i'm glad to know that hermit crabs are neither cheap nor easy. i am not a pet person either and i'm sure that i would have wondered about getting them sooner or later, now i won't worry about it. i'm not sure we'll ever get a pet. :)

Melis said...

Ya, your posts could use a little work. JUST KIDDING! You KNOW I am kidding, you nugget!

I am just too lazy to comment 99% of the time! ;)

You know I love you!

grammie said...

Can't wait to meet the latest members of the family.

Anonymous said...

i'm with ya on that one...I know people look at my blog and I try to post everyday..so why no comments? whatever. :) good luck with your hermies...I love how colorful the shells are.